- 1868: On March 17, four homesick Norwegian immigrants begin to sing together regularly, taking the name “Luren,” the roots of the Luren Singing Society. ( Photo: O. A. Nelson, Teodor Moller, N. E. Nelsen, H. Engbretsen)
- 1874: The Luren Quartet becomes a full-fledged Norwegian-American male chorus on March 17, 1874. 25 men are present, nine sign up as active members that night. Emil Berg is the first director. By October they are rehearsing twice a week with 22 active members. Initially, 1874 is regarded as the founding date of Luren. Not until the 50th anniversary celebration of 1924, are the six years of the quartet restored as part of Luren history.
- 1874: The first public concert of the reorganized Luren Singing Society is presented at Radliff’s Hall, Calmar, on Nov. 26. The first printed program includes 11 choral numbers in Norse, and three solos (two Norse, one English) by director Emil Berg. Concert tickets are $.50, with a dance following.
- 1874: The first public concert in Decorah, December 28, is at the Steyer Opera House.
- 1875: A large, colorful, beautifully-made banner, is created by a group of willing women in Decorah. (It now hangs in Vesterheim Museum.)
- 1877: Director Emil Berg resigns, moves back to La Crosse.
- M. Berg directs until 1879.